Saturday, June 2, 2012

Samoa M&M Blondies

This must be one of the easiest things I have ever made, but at the same time, it is probably one of the most fattening and unhealthiest desserts I have ever eaten, seen, or heard of. The amount of sugar and butter I had to use was ridiculous, at least if you compare it to everything else I have made in the past. So I had to hold back my laughter when my mother bit into one and commented "Hm, I like it - it's not too sweet."
Aside from the health aspects of this dish, it is really good and super easy to make. In fact, I would definitely make these again. The best part is, most of the ingredients are those you would have on hand anyways, so it is a quick dessert. Here it is:


Ingredients:
10 tbsp butter (1 stick + 2 tbsp)
1 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup white granulated sugar
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup flour
1 1/4 cup sweetened coconut
3-6 oz. m&m's


Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F
2. Heat the butter in a saucepan until it is slightly brown and produces a nutty smell. Be careful not to burn it
3. In a bowl, mix in the two sugars, vanilla, and salt. When you add the egg, be sure to continuously whisk or mix to make sure you do not scramble the egg. 
4. Incorporate flour. DO NOT over mix it - or else it will get tough.
5. Mix in coconut and m&m's. If you do not have coconut on hand, you can leave it out. However, this will take away from the flavor (of course, no more coconut flavor), and a bit from the texture. The coconut gives these blondies some stickiness. You can also adjust the amount of m&m's you want to put in. I put in 3oz.
6. Line a square pan (8x8 or 9x9) with foil
7. Smooth the batter out in pan. 
8. Bake for 25-30min.
9. Cool completely, cut, and serve. 


When it was taken out of the oven, the surface was harder than I expected, but the inside was soft. After it cooled, the blondies were just perfectly chewy. 
Also, I strongly recommend cooling them. I got impatient and cut them once without cooling them and the edges crumbled a bit. After I cooled them so that they were just slightly warm to the touch, they cut perfectly. It would probably be better if you cool them all the way, but being the impatient one, I could not resist. Enjoy! 



No comments:

Post a Comment